December 8, 2010

Cautions on using Canadian online pharmacies

Health
charter maldriverna

I mentioned in the posting  below that I had looked at the possibility of reducing the cost of Azilect by buying it online from a Canadian pharmacy, giving as an example a quote I got of  $525 for a 90-day supply of Azilect contrasted with the $938 I'm currently paying.  The quote came from Maple Leaf Meds in British Columbia.
My daughter cautioned me about the high potential for scams when using Canadian online pharmacies. She's right!

I spent an hour or so this morning web surfing on this.  The online "Canadian Pharmacy" apparently leads the list of bogus scams world-wide.  When you surf for "online Canadian pharmacies" it, of course, keeps coming up, The site reputedly is run by a Russian mafia mob.

I couldn't find any legitimate site that reviews and rates Canadian online pharmacies (found several bogus ones)..  But one legit site suggested that the best way to check out a Canadian online pharmacy site is to see if it's web page shows the following:
  •  Canadian International Pharmacy Association approval
  •  BuySAFE seal
  •   TRUSTe privacy seal
  • Shopper Approval online seal which allows you to read reviews from actual customers and give a review yourself
I checked the Maple Leaf Meds web page and it had the CIPA approval but none of the others and a further web search indicated cause for concern about Maple Leaf.

Our FDA, btw, says it regards the buying of meds in Canada as illegal.  But it has never tried prosecuting anyone and is unlikely to do so for political reasons.

My concerns about again reaching the donut hole next year are eased a bit by the new health care law which provides that when you reach the donut hole in 2011 you need only pay 50% of the cost of brand names like Azilect . And the donut hole is scheduled to get smaller each year thereafter and disappear in 2020. Of course, at its current price, my Azilect by itself will get me to the donut hole by the middle of the third quarter of next year.  My other costly med is Lipitor; a generic for this hopefully will be available in late 2011.

In any event, I need to go slowly and carefully in exploring  cost-saving options.
Post a Comment
UA-20519487-1