December 19, 2010

My Parkinson's Week (1) -- Breakthrough on incontinence!

Health
charter maldriverna
This is the first in what hopefully will be a long line of weekly posting on my life with Parkinson's.  For a base line on where I started from, see the December 12 posting below.

I've decided to break up these projected weekly journals into separate topical posts.  I've found that as I age my always deficient attention span gets shorter and shorter.  I buy books only if they are under 300 pages.  I Netflix movies only if they are 2 hours or less. And I'm more inclined to read short web postings than long ones.

The No. 1 development of the past week was a breakthrough on the incontinence that has been a problem ever since my radical prostatectomy in 1995.  Age and Parkinson's have aggravated the problem.  Of late, I've been getting up 3 or 4 times a night to urinate.

A month ago I started a physical therapy program at Georgetown University Hospital  designed to deal with incontinence.  I'm only midway through the program. I've had two out of four scheduled training sessions. Already I'm seeing good results.

I had a PT session on Monday and was given a new set of Kegel and other exercises and advice on other things I could do to deal with incontinence. Tuesday night, after my first day of following the program, I got up only once during the night.  For the rest of the past week, this pattern continued.  Hallelujah!  Daytime leakage also was lessened.

I'll do a separate posting detailing the exercise program and other advice late this week..

2 comments:

Harvey said...

After reading John's comments about 5-htp I decided to try some and to prove that PD is idiopathic, instead of energized it increased my lethargy, but also gave me two nites of normal sleep. I normally take 2 diaretics daily to compensate for liquid build as a result of a heart condition, this leads to 2-3 awakenings a nite to pee. I choose the smallest dosage available in Mexico (50 mg) and got m y two nites sleep, however, the effect did not last. The smallest amount that I could purchase contained 60 tablets, I intend to stick with them until I run out of tabs an d see what happens.

John Schappi said...

Thanks, Harvey, for the needed reminder that what works for me may not work for others. We all need to remember your point that "PD is idiopathic." Also experience with any med or supplement is very individualistic. For example, the early morning problem solving and idea generation that I've experienced with 5-HTP seems to be pretty unique. I've Googled it and can't find any other reports of this.

UA-20519487-1