January 17, 2011

9. Last and definitely not least, my already strong support net of family and friends got even stronger in 2010.

Health
charter maldriverna

2010 was a very good year for the family. My son bought his “dream house” in forested hills that are an hour or more driving time from center city DC but well worth the commute for this woods-loving guy. My daughter, following in the footsteps of her parents, is doing very well in a research/writing job with a consulting company. My grandson is in his third year at an arts school and is getting well deserved accolades on his art work. One of my two granddaughters is expecting a sister in April for my 4-year-old great-granddaughter, My other granddaughter graduated from college in 2010 and has been accepted in law school.

I am exceptionally blessed in this age of nomadic families by having all of the family in the D.C. area (if you include Baltimore in the area).

I’ve maintained many treasured friendships over the years and, thanks to my Parkinson’s Support Group and my bridge groups, I’ve acquired new friends.

My involvement in the last decade with the Indian Subcontinent has given me a wealth of new friends and a welcome exposure to other cultures, My Nepali and Bangladeshi friends are doing well Those who have made it to the U.S. are typically hard-working immigrants, often holding down at last two jobs and balancing the need to build a new life here with the desire to help family members back home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I never knew about PD despite the many neighborly contacts. Stay positive you've great times ahead!

Brian said...

John - you are an inspiration to us all and set a wonderful example as someone who has always been fully engaged in life. Keep it up!
Brian

Pokhreli said...

John, Namaste from one of your Nepali friends. I'd like to thank you for adventuring in to this fascinating blog journey. I can clearly see your love of writing and flair of it and am pretty sure it will raise awareness in many people... Sharing is caring as well, so please keep it up and good luck.
madhav

Nancy SW said...

John -- Lovely and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Zahed said...

John,
Wonderfull writting, great inspiration for the people. Thanks to share your experience to all. People can learn something from you.
Your familical relation is exception than other Americans.
Long live with your good health.
Zahed

UA-20519487-1