God grant me the serenityIt occurred to me that this prayer is a useful way for me to look at my fears of dementia.
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Here are risk factors that can contribute to dementia that I cannot change and that I need "the serenity to accept":
- Age 70 or older
- Low socioeconomic status
- Low education level
- Family history of dementia, particularly if a family member developed Alzheimer's before age 70.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Exercise. Regular exercise is a vital part of preventing dementia and many other diseases.
- Remain socially connected
- Keep mentally engaged and challenged
- Get treatment for depression
- Reduce alcohol consumption to one glass of wine per day, preferably red wine.
- Eat a brain-healthy diet such as the Mediterranean Diet
- Minimize stress
- Get regular and restful sleep
Let me know what worries you and/or what you are doing to beat this demon!