July 31, 2011

Enough already! I'm Out of Here!

Our Founding Fathers had a lot of terrific ideas. But building the nation's capital on a swamp was not one of them.

I love Washington ten months of the year. But July and August are tough going. As I age, dealing with the humidity gets increasingly difficult.

Here's what I saw on my morning walk a couple of days ago:




Later in the day, the temperature hit 104, breaking the record for the day. And it's now official: July, 2011 was the hottest in history for the Washington metropolitan area.

A year ago, I escaped for a week on my own touring the Canadian Rockies. Tomorrow, my housemate / chauffeur Nimesh and I will fly to San Francisco, rent a car, and take off to spend nearly three weeks touring northern California, Oregon and Washington. I've never been to Yosemite or Crater Lake, or Mts. Hood and Rainier, or the ocean drive from Seattle to San Francisco, so I'm lucky to have a younger, abler friend to handle the driving. I can't wait to see this part of the country.

I hope to post some comments and photos as we travel.

1 comment:

Anonymous Joe18 said...

I was looking on your side bar for articles on ageing because I wanted to add my own two cents on the matter. I've just written an essay I posted on your blog called sexual monogamy necessary for mental stability. When I've got more time, I'll post my thoughts on ageing.

UA-20519487-1