March 30, 2012

At 50, Michael J. Fox Discusses Life and PD


photo by Jake Chessum

Actor Michael J. Fox says, “I know an answer to Parkinson’s is findable.”

The PD research advocate has lots of other things to say in an article by Dotson Rader in this Sunday's Parade Magazine. About coming to terms with the disease, he says:
I don’t look at life as a battle or as a fight. I don’t think I’m scrappy. I’m accepting. I say ‘living with’ or ‘working through’ Parkinson’s. Acceptance doesn’t mean resignation; it means understanding that something is what it is and that there’s got to be a way through it. I look at it like I’m a fluid that’s finding the fissures and cracks and flowing through.
When asked why Tracy Pollan, his wife for 23 years, chooses to stay with him, he says:
It’s hard to explain why this amazing woman would want to stay. People say, ‘Tracy’s a rock.’ She always laughs at that and says, ‘I’m not a rock.’ And she’s not. She’s a living, reactive person. We’ve been very blessed and haven’t had a lot of big challenges other than Parkinson’s. Tracy knows she can count on me when there are issues we face. We still love each other and make each other laugh, which is probably the most important thing. She still thinks I’m smart and funny and sexy.

Those of us “working through” PD are lucky to have this guy as an advocate and inspiration.

See the full story: Michael J. Fox at 50

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Thanks for sharing that article

UA-20519487-1