March 14, 2012

The Wedding Reception

With Nimesh and the beautiful Bhawana: why I made this trip.

On Sunday, March 11, the Thapa family hosted a wedding reception for about 1,000 of their closest friends. Bhawana's family had thrown a similar party earlier in the week.

These wonderful Nepali weddings are not for the faint of heart. They are week-long events, chock-full of ceremony, fellowship, and fun... and they often go from morning til night. Being young and healthy isn't a requirement, but it surely helps. I did pretty well, even if I had to cash in my chips a little early on the wedding day Nimesh's grandparents -- my contemporaries -- sailed through it all like the champs they are.

The reception reminded me of something I've always admired about Nepali culture -- the strong, central place of family and community. The happy gathering also gave me a chance to get some shots of the Terrific Thapas.


Here are Nimesh's energetic grandparents in a rare moment of repose:

It was a special treat spending time with Nimesh's brother Ritesh and his charming wife Salina....

and with Nimesh's lovely sister Sona:

Here's Sona with her grandfather. 

Attendees included not one, but two former Nepali Prime Ministers. (Nepal has quite a few former prime minsters.) I had a few moments with one of them.

I'm smiling, next to Nimesh, his bride, his mother, and his sister-in-law Salina.

The Terrific Thapas: Nimesh with Bhawana, his parents, and Salina.

Now, on to Pokhara and my other Nepali family.

2 comments:

Bhawana Khadka said...

Dear John , we are overjoyed with your presence in our most special and awaited ceremony, our wedding. We appreciate your interest.How gracefully you had been the part of every rituals despite your health issues and some adversity.Most importantly I am glad and honored with your whole hearted welcome and acceptance for me in your family. You have made me feel home!  Thanks for being with Nimesh and me ever since our beautiful journey of love and bond started,and you are the one to witness our growth together from strangers to the ravishing beloved partners :))  It feels amazing to read your insight in the blog.Keep up the good work !!

Jeevan K Basnet said...

I felt like I was a part of the ceremony looking at those nice pictures. And Congratulations and good wishes for the newly wed couples and Namaskar to Nimesh Brother and Bhawana

UA-20519487-1