April 5, 2012

Add Depression to the List of Ailments that Curcumin Might Help Fight

In my initial post on curcumin (the active ingredient in the spice turmeric), I noted that recent studies had found it promising for combating:
  • Alzheimer's
  • Parkinson's
  • MS
  • Cancer
  • Arthritis
  • Diabetes
As if those results weren't enough, I just came across a  December 2008 study at Panjab University in India that found curcumin -- combined with piperine -- boosted levels of both serotonin and dopamine. It concluded:
The coadministration of curcumin along with piperine may prove to be a useful and potent natural antidepressant approach in the management of depression.
I did more research and found lots of anecdotal support for using curcumin as an anti-depressant. Example: http://bit.ly/I98p8q.

Amazing! These studies seem to indicate that curcumin and piperine together pack a veritable panacea punch. Why, then, isn't more being done to definitively confirm these findings and bring this "holy powder" to the attention -- front and center -- of doctors and the public?

That's the next topic in this turmeric / curcumin / piperine series.





1 comment:

Bruno said...

This is a very inspirational blog. I'm 35 and reading about your experience and how it helped you to further grow and made you stronger than ever literally makes me happy. As for turmeric/curcumin supplementation, I have BD type II and it definitely seems to help the depression.

UA-20519487-1