April 17, 2012

Seven Myths about Alzheimer's (What I Fear Most)

I’ve written before on this blog about what I fear most. It isn’t death, or cancer (which I have), or Parkinson’s (which I have).

It isn’t falling, which I DO fear, for the mobility-ending injuries falls can cause. I’m committed to my exercise regimens in large part because I think they help keep me balanced, and on my feet.

What I fear most is dementia. Alzheimer’s. Mostly, it hurts to think of the heartache my family would suffer if I drifted away. I don’t imagine it would be much fun for me, either.

Not long ago, the online journal Dementia Today published a story titled “7 Myths About Alzheimer’s Disease.” Here they are:
  1. Myth: Some memory loss is normal.
  2. Myth: Exercise, diet, and mental activities prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
  3. Myth: Only old people get Alzheimer’s.
  4. Myth: Alzheimer’s is all about genetics.
  5. Myth: Depression causes Alzheimer’s disease.
  6. Myth: Dementia is the same as Alzheimer’s disease.
  7. Myth: Dietary supplements protect the brain.
The reality of these myths isn’t very uplifting, is it? If Alzheimer’s is going to happen, there isn’t much we can do about it. Still, I’ll keep eating thoughtfully (I feel better when I do); I’ll keep exercising regularly (I feel better when I do); I’ll spend as much time with family and friends as I can (I feel better when I do); and I’ll try to keep my brain engaged with games, reading, and good conversations (I feel better when I do).

Hmmm. I feel better just thinking about all the good decisions I CAN make!

It’s a good article. See all the details here: 7 Myths About Alzheimer's

No comments: