February 8, 2013

SAGE Pen and Paper Test for Alzheimer's


This two-minute video describes a simple 15-minute test that could speed diagnosis and treatment of memory disorders like Alzheimer's. It could give healthcare providers and caregivers an earlier indication of what lies ahead... and a key opportunity to begin useful therapies sooner. 

Douglas Scharre, neurologist at the Ohio State University Medical Center, developed the test. In a study involving 254 participants, he compared the reliability of his SAGE (Self-Administered Gerocognitive Examination) test with other techniques -- like evaluation by a neuropsychologist -- to detect cognitive problems. Scharre found that his test identifies 80% of people with mild cognitive issues. His results also showed that 95% of people with normal cognitive function will score normally on his test.

Results of a quick Google search suggest that Scharre's SAGE test is considered top-of-the-line among simple dementia screening tests. Still, no test approaches 100% accuracy. 

Go here for a copy of the test and instructions. Self-administering such tests isn't kosher; we should be guided by professional testers.

(In my initial post of this, I forgot to include this essential: the scoring instructions.)

But of course, I printed it out. It's already 11 pm, so I'll wait and take it in the morning when I'm at my "best."

If you don't hear anything more about this test, I probably flunked. Or maybe I forgot to take it. Or maybe I took it and forgot.
Post a Comment
UA-20519487-1