September 10, 2013

Home Sweet Home: Beauty Inside and Out

The "Grand Tour" of Europe with four generations of Schappis was terrific. But five weeks away is a long time. I love my house, garden, and home family. I'm surrounded by beauty inside and out, as you'll see from these photos.

The Backyard Garden
Here's the oasis I see from the rocking chair on my back porch:

Nimesh and Bhawana kept the fish well fed in my absence:

The New Butterfly Garden
The violent derecho that blew through our region on June 29, 2012 took down a large magnolia and a cherry tree in my side yard. I've spent the past year transforming the former shade garden into a sunny butterfly garden.

Here's what it looked like in July:

Nimesh took these shots showing the butterfly garden "at work":

Nepal's Teej Creates Beauty inside the House 
This past weekend brought Teej, the two-day festival for women in Nepal. On the first day, women gather, have a big feast, sing and dance. On the second day, they fast, perform rituals, and chant prayers for the good health, long life and prosperity of their husbands. Unmarried women pray they find good husbands.

The fun time is dressing up and getting together on the first day. Beautiful red saris predominate. Gold bracelets and ornaments are much in evidence. During my many visits to Nepal, I always loved seeing Kathmandu's Durbur (Temple) Square filled with circles of women dancing and singing.

I enjoyed witnessing the festival preparations in my own house, too. Bhawana and Nimesh are getting ready to go to a friend's house for the celebration:

Nepal has some of the most beautiful women in the world, including these five in their Teej finery:

Let the dancing begin!

Here's another Nepali beauty, my beloved friend Laxmi, who celebrated at a Hindu temple in Washington's Maryland suburbs:

No comments: