November 22, 2013

A Helpful iPhone Contact – “Medical Schappi”

I steer clear of giving advice on this blog, and prefer just sharing what works (or doesn't) for me. But here’s an idea that might be helpful. 

I added a contact to my iPhone: “Medical Schappi.” It's where I keep my basic personal and medical data: medical history, primary doctors, prescribed medicines, supplements, and a list of medicines that people with Parkinson's -- like me -- should NOT use.

When I'm asked to complete paperwork at a new medical office, I simply retrieve the “Medical Schappi” contact. I’ve shared this information with my housemates and family; they know an up-to-date version is always available on my iPhone and should be called to the attention of any medical staff in an emergency.

That last piece of info is important. A member of my Parkinson’s support group was given Haldol when he was recently admitted to the hospital. Haldol is probably the worst med for someone with PD, and my friend had a serious adverse reaction. That drug heads my "DO NOT USE” list below.

Here’s the format I use:

Personal Data
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Notify in Case of Emergency

Medical History
  •  Prostatectomy 1/1995. Cancer cells remain. Last PSA reading on 9/2013 – 6.26
  •  Parkinson’s Disease  Diagnosed 9/2009 (probably should have several years earlier). No tremor. Balance/gait problems.

  • Internist
  • Neurologist
  • Urologist
  • Dermatologist

Prescribed Meds
  • Carbidopa/Levodopa  25/100mg  4x: 4am, 10am, 4 pm, 10pm
  • Avapro  300mg 1x: bedtime
  • Pravastatin  10mg 1x: bedtime

  • Vitamin D  1000mg 1x: breakfast
  • Curcumin   200mg 2x: breakfast/supper
  • 5-HTP   50mg 1x: bedtime

  • Haldol and other neuroleptics
  • Drugs that deplete dopamine such as Reserpine and tetrabenazine
  • Drugs like Compazine, Phenergan and Reglan
  • Check

No comments: