June 13, 2014

Curing My Bad Cough: Azithromycin Bombs, but Nepali Herbal Tea Succeeds

Last week, I wrote about my bad experience with the antibiotic azithromycin, prescribed to treat a heavy cough that had me hacking for weeks.

Although modern pharmacology bombed in this case, something else succeeded in ending that persistent cough.

The treatment? A few cups of an herbal tea widely used in Nepal and India to treat coughs.

I asked my Nepali witch doctor for the recipe. Here's his reply:
  • 2-3 tablespoons of cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon of turmeric
  • 2-3 tablespoons of minced ginger
  • Salt to your taste
  • 1.5 cups of water
Heat the pot. Put in the cumin seeds and stir them until they turn golden brown. Add water, turmeric and ginger. Let the water boil on medium heat for a while (8-10 minutes) until 1.5 cups water is down close to 1 cup.
This was the treatment that I gave you. Besides this, there are other things that one can do like:
  • (i) Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric to warm milk and drink it before you go to bed.
  • (ii) Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric in a spoon of honey and take it.
Next time you get sick, I won't tell you my secrets. You ask for more on the follow up instead of just sitting quietly and enjoying the cure.
This link describes the Indian/Nepali herbal relief that worked for me. Check under the heading "How To Get Instant Relief From Cough."

Caveat on My Earlier Remarks about Antibiotics
I wrote last week that clinical trials on drugs seldom include seniors, or consider how dosage requirements might vary for older patients. I mentioned that I was better served by cutting pills in half, but that the azithromycin pill couldn't be cut in half.

My daughter sent me an email with this appropriate warning: "Don’t be halving antibiotics—that kind of behavior (and failure to finish full prescription) is what breeds antibiotic resistance."

1 comment:

Yarner said...

True dat! My doc told me I had an infection and gave me antibiotics. I took them. Kept telling me I had an infection every time I went there. Gave me more antibiotics. Took them. Well, when I retired, I just crashed. By the end of the first year I was even more sick. I had that incurable bug--incurable by regular antibiotics, that is. And I had had it for years. Ended up in the hospital on IVs for 2 weeks and finally, it was cured. It really affected my work, tho. I look back and wonder how I was working at all, how I could drag myself to work. No, don't take chances on the antibiotics. If you cut them in two, you are simply NOT taking enough to kill the bugs, and you are also allowing them to build immunity to the drug. How I ended up as I did, I do not know, I'm just glad I am well at last!