- Apples contains 6mg of vitamin C per 100grams.
- Apples are a low-calorie snack. An average apple will contain under 85 calories.
- Apples have been called nature’s toothbrush because they stimulate the gums, increasing saliva flow and decreasing the build-up of bacteria.
- Women who eat three apples a day while dieting lose more weight than women who do not.
- Apples may be the fountain of youth. They contain the compound procyanidin B-2 which prevents wrinkles and inhibits hair growth.
- Eat apples with the skin on for maximum nutritional benefit.
- Rich in dietary fiber, apples prevent the absorption of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- People who consume diets that are high in flavonoids, like those found in apples, are 20% less likely to develop cancer.
- Apples have NO fat, cholesterol, or sodium!
Drying fruits decreases their water content and concentrates their natural sugars. A handful of raisins, or about 1/4 cup, contains over 30 grams of carbohydrates, or about 8 teaspoons of sugar. Many varieties of dried fruits, such as dried cranberries for instance, also often contain extra carbohydrates from added sugars. If you can't stick to a small serving of dried fruits and are tempted to overeat them, avoid dried fruits completely to prevent a sharp rise in your blood sugar levels.
You wouldn’t be able to say that something that had milk in it was “lactose free” or something that had wheat in it was “gluten free”, for example. This is perhaps because there are people who suffer from serious lactose and gluten allergies, whereas avoiding sugar is perceived as being more of a lifestyle choice.