October 31, 2014

My Goblins -- Alzheimer's and Dementia -- Stay with Me Year Round

Alzheimer's afflicts about one third of all Americans over 85. Becoming part of that group is probably my greatest fear.

Several developments this past week have given me more cause for concern:
  • After writing the post about our recent Nepali Tihar holiday celebration, I discovered I'd described another Tihar celebration two years ago. As if that weren't bad enough, I couldn't remember anything about that event at all. 
  • A major surge of fear accompanied my discovery that orthostatic hypotension -- a frequent issue for me these days -- is an especially strong predictor of Parkinson's dementia. 
  • Keyboarding and blog formatting are becoming more difficult and time-consuming. I met with my collaborator Stanley yesterday to discuss strategies for dealing with these issues. 
  • Regularly using the Dragonfly voice recognition software would be a big help, but my learning curve these days resembles a flat line. 
I know... simple aging might explain these developments. But my gut tells me I'm in the early stages of Alzheimer's or dementia.


Stop Moaning and Do Something!
That phrase has been my mantra recently. This week, I began assembling my game plan to find out exactly what's going on. 

This autumn marks the five-year anniversary of my Parkinson's diagnosis. I'm using the occasion to carefully review where I've been and where I might be going. I'll share my discoveries in the weeks ahead.  

1 comment:

Franky said...

Something to think about it. I love your blog and all the effort you put on it. Congratulations! Keep that work up!

Keep an eye on this from a medicinal point of view. ;-)


INSIGHT - CANNABIS A MEDICAL REVOLUTION - 04 07 2014 - YouTube.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QOBhVLHpiI

Cannabis Research - Cognitive Dysfunction Inflammatory and Autoimmune Diseases - YouTube.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzDuC_Rsnc

UA-20519487-1