March 13, 2015

This is My Blog Post No. 1,000!

That's the number assigned to this post by the blogging service I use. So I decided to celebrate that achievement here.

Checking further, I discovered it's been 1,000 posts since the day back in November 2010 when I changed the blog's name from "Parkinson's and 5-HTP and Me" to its current title. I began the blog a few months after my September 2009 PD diagnosis, because I thought I'd found in 5-HTP a supplement that alleviated the disease's three most common non-motor side effects -- depression, insomnia and constipation. I wanted to share the good news with others in my situation.

I devoted most of my early posts to this subject. But I soon realized that other people with PD were not getting the same benefits from 5-HTP. I also was learning how difficult it was to tell whether my ailments were a function of my Parkinson's or my advancing age. After all, I was already 80 when my doctor first said "Parkinson's."

Hence the name change -- to "Aging and Parkinson's and Me" -- and the blog's new, more general direction. It continues to evolve. I'm a confirmed neophiliac, and the posts reflect my obsession with the new and different. 

Getting back to this post No. 1.000.... I have two observations:

1.  I'm Still Standing


"I'm Still Standing" from Elton John's 1983 album Too Low for Zero

and



2. I'm Still Here 


"I'm Still Here" sung by Elaine Page in the 2011 Broadway revival of Sondheim's Follies

and here's my favorite


Elaine Stritch, age 82, at the Cafe Carlyle
(This video has the text of the lyrics, and I remember all of the events mentioned.)

Stritch died last year at age 89. The New York Times ran a terrific report on her life and death which includes a taped interview with Stritch. It's a classic story of aging with vim, vigor and vitality.

And a perfect way to end the 1,000th post of Aging and Parkinson's and Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done John! Have loved reading your honest, informative and often highly amusing comments over the last few months. Keep up the good work!!

UA-20519487-1