August 18, 2015

I’m Switching to a Different Curcumin Supplement: CurcuWIN

I've written several posts about curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, the curry spice Indians call the "holy powder." Curcumin/turmeric has a rich history in ancient cultures, both for it culinary and medicinal uses.

Today, modern science is confirming the folklore about turmeric/curcumin's benefits. Almost 5,000 peer-reviewed studies now exist to confirm its beneficial effects. Curcumin has powerful antioxidant properties, which means it can fight inflammation. Many diseases are accompanied by inflammation and -- according to some research -- prompted by it

What's especially exciting is curcumin's potential to fight Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and other neurological disorders known to have inflammation connections. Several studies have indicated that curcumin could slow the progression of Parkinson's.

Almost every day, I see promising new studies about curcumin. Here's one I found yesterday:
Turmeric Blocks Cancer Cells – Which Chemotherapy Can't Do!
When I began reporting on this botanical supplement, I complained that it wasn't getting the attention it deserved. But today, it makes the list of top ten supplements in the United States.

I've been taking curcumin since April, 2012, and my Parkinson's has been progressing slowly. Although it's impossible to determine a cause-and-effect relationship, my gut tells me one exists.

I often wonder: Which particular curcumin product should I take? I've switched brands several times.

Curcumin Supplements
Many of the scientific studies on curcumin featured mice as subjects. But what works for rodents might not work for humans, particularly because of our "blood/brain barrier."

Supplements are often judged on bioavailability -- their success in crossing that barrier. In this case, studies indicate that two varieties enhance curcumin's bioavailability: BCM-95 and Bioperine.

I rely on ConsumerLab.com, an excellent source of information about supplements. This group periodically tests curcumin supplements. You can get a good summary of curcumin's potential by going to the site.  But you have to be a subscriber to access detailed product reports. Membership costs $36.

In a January 2015 post, I indicated that I was switching to the Life Extension curcumin variety. But ConsumerLab has just provided another update, so I'm switching again.

The new supplement -- CurcuWIN -- looks particularly promising. A well-controlled human clinical study comparing standard curcumin and several commercial curcumin products with enahanced bioavailability CurcuWIN from OmnuActive Health Technologies significantly increased serum curcumin levels 46 times over standard curcumin. This particular variety also demonstrated more bioavailability than other enhanced curcumin supplements.

I also found this report from Nutritional Outlook, which reported the same results:
CurcuWIN’s bioavailability is backed by a clinical trial by the University of Tampa and Increnovo LLC. The results were impressive: CurcuWIN increased serum curcuminoid levels 46 times over standard curcumin. Importantly, instead of comparing against standard curcumin ingredients, which may not be very bioavailable, the researchers also made sure to compare CurcuWIN to other bioavailable curcumin ingredients for true, apples-to-apples results. CurcuWIN was more bioavailable by far, Doyle says. The company is now pursuing clinical trials in healthy populations.
And here's the clincher from Pete's Place Nutritional Supplement Blog:
The results are clear and unequivocal -- CurcuWIN handily beats the pants off any other product currently on the market
So as soon as I sign off here, I'm off to Amazon.com for CurcuWIN.

No comments:

UA-20519487-1