August 27, 2015

Two TED Talks Related to Upcoming Discussion of Brain Healing and Parkinson's

It's 9pm Thursday, and I'm just getting around to writing today's post. So, looking for something quick and easy, I came up with these two TED talks. I had saved them because they relate to a post I intend to run next week on neural plasticity (the brain's ability to heal itself) and Parkinson's.

First comes the highly popular talk by the positive psychology expert Shawn Achor. Most people believe that once they land that long-awaited promotion, make more money, get their kids into the right schools, lose a few pounds or find a meaningful relationship, then they'll be happy. But based on recent discoveries in the fields of positive psychology and neuroscience, Achor says this formula has it backwards. As it turns out, happiness actually fuels success, not the other way around.


Achor's TED talk has been viewed by millions. It's a bit too slick and cute for my taste. Much more to my liking is this talk by Dr. Libby McGugan, an emergency physician from Glascow, Scotland. When I looked at the video, YouTube showed 1,682 views. You go, girl!



My post next week will concern the much acclaimed new book, The Brain's Way of Healing, by Norman Doidge, with particular reference to chapter two, "A Man Walks Off His Parkinsonian Symptoms." The man is my online pal John Pepper of Cape Town, South Africa. He exemplifies Doidge's "remarkable discoveries and recoveries from the frontiers of neural plasticity."

No comments:

UA-20519487-1