June 8, 2016

What Works for Me: Bedside Pills and Urinal Eliminate Nighttime Bathroom Visits

Today’s post begins a series in which I’ll provide brief reports about some things I think will enhance the quality of my life.

I'm now on a schedule for taking my Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa) for Parkinson’s every three hours. My most common schedule for taking these pills is 2am, 5am, 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, and 11pm.

As you can see, this schedule requires pill-taking several times during the night. I’d prefer to skip those nighttime doses, but my system won't let me. I don’t need to set reminder alarms. My inner clock wakes me two or three times during the night to tell me it's time to pee and take my pills.

Often, when I’d get up to go to the bathroom, I’d have a hard time getting back to sleep. 

Then I discovered the Bardia closed system drain bag (under $30 at Amazon). Here's what it looks like:

And here's the 2-liter collection bag attached to the bed frame, with the urinal hanging from my bedside reading light. In front of the clock on the table is a pillbox containing four Sinemet pills, enough for two nighttime doses.

Last night, I remained in bed from 11:30pm to 8:30am, and woke up twice to take pills and relieve myself. Since I sleep on my right side, all I needed to do was edge my body closer to the edge of the bed.

In the morning, with no urgency to visit the bathroom, I laid on my back on bed for about 15 minutes and did a few exercises..

Now it’s 11:30pm… time to see what happens tonight.

No comments: