February 8, 2017

Home Sweet Home


I was discharged from Sibley Hospital's rehab center on Sunday morning, in time to watch that incredible Super Bowl game at home on Sunday night.

I was even happier to be reunited with my girlfriend Nivah!

Doctors usually urge their patients who’ve undergone hip replacement surgery to have someone else on hand during their first week at home. I got lucky.

I’ve talked before about my good friend Joey, my on-call chauffeur, gardener, shopper, and all-around helper. As fate would have it, Joey’s wife Georgelyn is a nurse in the intensive care unit at Sibley Hospital.

Nurses typically work 12-hour shifts three days a week. Since Georgelyn usually works weekends, she’s been available to take care of me during the day through this first week at home. She leaves shortly before my housemates return from work. So, my serendipity strikes again.

Joey and Georgelyn are natives of the Philippines. Over these past few years, I’ve often seen Filipinos in caregiving roles. Many of the Sibley nurses are from the Philippines. About half of my Parkinson's support group members have Filipino caregivers. My own experience – and comments I’ve heard – suggest that Filipinos have a natural gift for this work.

Unfortunately, Joey and Georgelyn can't do my exercises for me. I need to step up my game here. Tomorrow, I start working with a physical therapist.

But for now, all is well.



1 comment:

Judith Hall said...

At the age of 54 I started experiencing lack of muscle control when performing strenuous exercise. It was very periodic, as I got older, the episodes became more frequent, and I started experiencing voice box spasms, excessive sweating, and trouble swallowing. I also started to have episodes when I wasn't so active. My family doctor wasn't able to diagnose my problem, but I was sent to a neurologist and they diagnosed it as Parkinson's. All medications given were not working i had to look for an alternative treatment. I read in a health forum of a herbal clinic in Johannesburg who has a successful treatment to P.D, i immediately contacted the herbal clinic via their website (www.Healthherbalclinic.weebly.com) and purchased the parkinson's herbal formula. I received the parkinson's herbal treatment via courier and immediately commenced usage, i only used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks all my symptoms were unbelievably reversed, i did another series of test i was confirmed free of parkinson's. Visit (www.healthherbalclinic.weebly.com) or email (healthherbalclinic@gmail.com)

UA-20519487-1